Female Professors Program of the Federal Government and the States
- +49 241 80 90554
- Send Email
In the German science system the percentage of women drops gradually from the start of studies towards the professorship. This phenomenon is often described as the “Leaky Pipeline”. Women make up currently 50% of the students, but only 45% of doctoral students. Only 25% of habilitations are completed by women. On the level of professorships, about 20% are women. This program wants to work counteractively against this development.
Women Professors Program I
From 2010-2014 the Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the Federal States supported the appointment of women through the Women Professors Program I, in order to increase the percentage of women among professors. Within this framework, two regular professorships were sponsored at the RWTH Aachen University. For this cause, 1.3 million Euros were provided to support numerous measures that promote equality.
Women Professors Program II
The Women Professors Program continues: within the framework of Women Professors Program II, three regular professorships will be supported until end of 2019 at the RWTH Aachen. This time 1.27 million Euros are available to finance measures that promote equality at the University.
Measures that promote equality at the RWTH Aachen
The individual measures for the three professorships are conducted in cooperation with Gender Denomination, the Division of Career Development, the Equal Opportunity Office’s Family Services, the Prorectorate for Personnel and Junior Researchers, as well as IGaD.
Following measures will be realised:
- Project “Equal Opportunity Career Paths”
- Reorientation of the Programs TANDEMplus (mentoring) and FEMTEC (careerbuilding)
- Proactive search for women in the context of appointment procedures
- Re-Auditioning as a Family-Friendly University
- Promotion of habilitation of women through networking in medicine (Keep Track)
- Project BuildING: Gender perspectives for constructional engineering and
- The Development of a toolbox “Teaching gender equality policy” for technical universities