Joint online conference of EU funded gender equality projects CHANGE, LeTSGEPs & SPEAR
The three EU funded gender equality projects CHANGE, LeTSGEPs & SPEAR are organizing a joint online conference on 25 and 26 November 2021.Copyright: © Baumert, Haack
We will discuss cultural-structural perspectives of gender quality work in European Research Performing Organisations (RPOs) under the conference title “Culture eats (a gender equality) strategy for breakfast? – Structure eats (a gender-sensitive) culture for lunch?“. On day one, we will hear perspectives on gender equality plan implementation from short-, long-term and associated EU member states, while on day two we address organisational and career perspectives from German university and non-university research institutions / RPOs.
The European Commission (EC) considers gender equality a key priority for the EU Member States and Associated Countries united in the European Research Area (ERA). Within the Horizon 2020 “Science with and for Society” Work Programme Gender Equality Plans (GEPs) are acknowledged as effective means to promote sustainable cultural and institutional change in research performing organisations (RPOs) along three central objectives:
- Removing barriers to the recruitment, retention and career progression of women researchers;
- Addressing gender imbalances in decision-making processes;
- Integrating the gender dimension in research and innovation content (EC 2020, p.25).
As part of the programme, the sister projects CHANGE, LeTSGEPs and SPEAR directly contribute to the central priorities by supporting RPOs in the design and implementation of GEPs. To achieve this, all three projects use different strategies; in CHANGE, the focus is on the co-production of relevant gender equality knowledge and its transfer, while LeTSGEPs focuses on gender budgeting as a lever for the successful structural anchoring of gender equality measures. Finally, SPEAR supports gender equality practitioners in GEP implementation through collaboration in communities: the Community of Learning (CoL) and Community of Practice (CoP) help to ensure long-term sustainability.
This conference constitutes a joint effort by the three Horizon 2020 funded sister projects. In our work, we not only aim at promoting (gender) equality in European RPOs; our project teams themselves are made up of a diverse group of people stemming from numerous different EU and Associated Countries, from university and non-university institutions alike.
Thus, in this online conference we want to make space for and explore the variety of perspectives on gender equality work in different cultural and organisational contexts and discuss how to achieve sustainable structural and cultural change. The goals of the conference are four-fold:
- to join forces in the gender-sensitive design of organisational structures in European RPOs
- to explore the cultural factors and national framework conditions supporting and/or hindering implementation of Gender Equality Plans in short-, long-term and associated EU member states
- to reflect organisational and career perspectives related to gender equality from German university and non-university research institutions
- to strengthen collaboration within and across Horizon 2020 sister projects with gender focus
Further information on program and registration will be available soon. In the meantime, please save the date and spread the word.
Source: European Commission (2020): Horizon 2020. Work Programme 2018-2020. 16. Science with and for Society, retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/wp/2018-2020/main/h2020-wp1820-swfs_en.pdf [Accessed: 1 June 2021].